Sunday, November 22, 2015

Time for an Update

Surgery tomorrow . . . finally!!!  After meeting with Dr. Valle, I didn't hear anything from his office for almost two weeks.  At the end of last week, at 4:00 p.m. on a Friday, I called his office and asked for information on a surgery date.  Turned out I hadn't even been put on the calendar, so his assistant put me on the surgery calendar for tomorrow, Monday, November 23.  Turns out the delay was them wanting to get past the holidays in case I was planning to travel.  I reminded her again that I wasn't going anywhere and that my and Kenny's schedule these days is devoted to whatever medical needs I have, so let's get this show on the road! 

Surgery is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. tomorrow.  However, I will have two procedures prior to surgery.  The first one will be in the morning.  Dr. Valle will put a wire into the tumor (or into what's left of it).  This is so he can go directly to the tumor during surgery without hunting for it (because it's down to that small of a size thank and praise to God!!!)

The second procedure will be to inject dye into the breast tissue several hours before surgery.  The dye will then travel to the lymph nodes that feed the portion of breast tissue where the tumor is located.  As a result, any lymph nodes showing dye will be removed and tested for cancer.  I think I've got that right.  Any lymph nodes removed will be tested and if more cancer is found, I will return to surgery at a later date for a complete mastectomy.

The surgery I'm having is referred to as a "partial mastectomy."  In other words, I'm having a lumpectomy tomorrow.  Again, many praises and thanks to God! 

Many friends and family have asked if this is an outpatient procedure.  Ordinarily it is, but because my surgery is scheduled for so late in the day, whether or not I get to come home tomorrow night depends on how I do during and after surgery and, of course, how late surgery actually happens.

In the meantime, I have complete peace about the entire process.  I am so ready to move forward with treatment of this cancer.  After tomorrow, bring on the holidays!  I'm very much looking forward to Thanksgiving with family.  We all have so much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving season, and yes, every single moment of every single day.

I wanted to share a verse with this  post, and the first one that came to mind is Phillipians 1:6, but rather than contemplating this verse in reference to others (it's a great verse to pray for others and to encourage others) tonight I claim this verse for myself and for Kenny:

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in [me] will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus. 

Blessed and happy Thanksgiving, y'all!

1 comment: