Sunday, September 13, 2015

Update on My Journey

It's been a long time since I posted an update on my journey through breast cancer treatment.  Since July 1 to be exact.  To all who have wondered, please accept my apologies.  We as a family have traveled through some really difficult issues and times over the course of July and August.  Now here we are having survived and even overcome!  Thanks to all who prayed for us.

We finished the four rounds of really difficult chemo in July.  Those treatments were administered every other week for eight weeks.  Then we (Kenny and I - he does everything with me so we are both going through this! - God bless him!) moved into chemo every Wednesday for twelve weeks.  We have five more to go!  Mid-October we will be finished with chemo for good!

When school resumed in early August, back to work I went.  It's hard every day, but it has to be done to keep our insurance going.  God gets me through each day.

At this time, I am tired all the time.  That's normal response to chemo, I guess.  My fingernails are dying one by one and some of them (one very soon) are going to fall off.  My toes, fingers, soles of my feet and palm of my hands, and sometimes my tongue are numb.  This is a normal reaction to the chemo drug being given at this time.  I also have A LOT of trouble tasting things.  Most of the foods I can taste are foods I shouldn't be eating, but I have decided to deal with that (aka clean up my act) and get back to some good healthy eating when I get my sense of taste back.  Another really annoying side effect of this drug is weight gain.  It's happening.  Enough said.  How on earth can one gain weight when one is not eating much and not enjoying any of what is being eaten?  Oh well.

Pretty much all my hair is gone - ALL my hair.  My nose bleeds when I have to blow it, which is often because with no nose hair, my nose stays irritated.  Too much information?    Then let's stop there.

On the positive side, on my last physical exam two weeks ago, the doctor could "barely detect a slight thickening of tissue" as opposed to an obvious lump!  I am very excited about this.  The chemo is working!!!  When chemo is completed in five weeks, there will be a three to four week recoup time to build strength.  Then I will have surgery.  I am thinking mastectomy, but final decisions will be made early November.  Surgery mid-November.  Then I don't know, but I do know monitoring continues for a couple of years beyond chemo and surgery.

So there you go!  The latest.  I don't imagine anything will change between now and the end of the chemo treatments.  I really appreciate all your prayers, cards, thoughts and encouraging words and messages.

God bless!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Miss Valerie! THANK YOU for providing all of us an update! More than that thank you for being like Jesus in bad times and good! It seems that when you get squeezed that Jesus comes out! Hallelu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are praying for you and your family. And you are missed a lot by me. I miss our talks and by the way how is that grandson of yours? I love you Valerie and praying for you

    ReplyDelete